Nidec and Embraer get electric propulsion joint venture approval


Nidec Corporation and Embraer have got unconditional approval from regulators to launch their joint venture, Nidec Aerospace. 

The idea behind the new company is to combine expertise to develop electric propulsion systems (EPS) for the aerospace sector. Embraer’s AAM spinoff, Eve will be Nidec Aerospace’s launch customer. Vincent Braley, chief of staff for Nidec’s Motion and Drives business in the US, has been appointed the CEO of the new firm with immediate effect.

Michael Briggs, senior vice president and president of the Motion & Energy Business Unit at Japan-based Nidec. “This approval marks a significant milestone not only in Nidec Motion & Energy’s joint venture with Embraer, but also in our shared vision to advance and electrify the way the world travels. Now with official clearance to proceed, the Nidec Aerospace team is poised to bring the expertise, speed, and drive needed to accelerate sustainable aviation on a global scale.”

Unveiled at the Paris Air Show in June, the combination plans to offer an agnostic portfolio of products and services globally, driven initially by the growth of the UAM industry.

Dimas Tomelin, senior vice president of Corporate Strategy, Digital and Innovation, Embraer said: “We are thrilled with the unconditional clearance. The next step will be the integration of these two powerful operational and engineering capabilities focused on business excellence. Together, our extraordinary teams will be able to develop advanced solutions to collaborate with the future of sustainable aviation.”

Nidec owns a 51% share of the joint venture, Embraer has the remaining 49%. The joint venture is expected to invest more than $77m in the coming years to start mass production in 2026.